In addition to the yearly NEON Observing Schools OPTICON also organises other schools and workshops, which are meant for astronomers at all career stages. The main aim of these events is to advance the knowledge of astronomical instrumentation, observing techniques that are crucial for the up-coming state-of-the-art astronomical facilities, and enable equal participation of all EU member states in the new large scale facilities. The exact topic of these events changes yearly.
For the Horizon 2020 OPTICON grant period yearly schools are planned. These events include the first OPTICON Instrumentation School, telescope time application writing workshop and 'Hot Topics in Astronomy' conferences. ESO/Very Large Telescope Interferometer schools are also organized by OPTICON. You can find more information on these schools from the website of the European Interferometry Initiative.
OPTICON Schools for 2017-2020:
- 2017: OPTICON Instrumentation School took place in Copenhagen July 3-12.
- 2018: We co-organised the second ESO/NEON Observing School. This school took place in Santiago and La Silla in Chile from February 19 to March 2, 2018. More information on this ESO run school can be found from the official school website.
- 2019: Observational astrophysics: from proposals to publication will take place in Stará Lesná June 17-27. The application to this school closed on March 31.
- 2019: Hot Topics Conference will be organised together with the 2019 NEON Observing School in September in Bulgaria. The application to this event was on May 10, 2019.
- 2020: Multi-messenger/wavelength Astrophysics School was supposed to be organised at Durham University 27-31 July 2020. Unfortunately, the school had to be postponed to a later date due to the corona virus (COVID-19) outbreak. We will update the information on these pages on the new date for the school.
- 2020: 2nd OPTICON Instrumentation School was supposed to be organised 16-25 September 2020 in Milan, Italy. Unfortunately, the school has been postponed to a later date due to the corona virus (COVID-19) outbreak. We will update the information on these pages on the new date for the school.
- 2020: High-Angular Resolution Observations from the ground: the hitchhiker’s guide to the PSF is a school organised by OPTICON AO work package. It will take place in Observatoire Haute Provence October 5-9, 2020. The deadline for applications was on March 15, 2020.
- 2021: Virtual OPTICON Archival School Using ESO and ALMA Data will take place online 19-26 June 2021. You can now apply to the school HERE. The deadline for applications is Friday April 23 (23:59 CEST).